Saturday, October 11, 2008

A passing of one generation

He was the last out of the four left. And he left us after much suffering and despair. I was woken up by mama to the news that my grandfather, at 80 years old, has passed away. It didnt dawn on me the magnitude of the event until i kissed him.

Truth be told, my family wasn't close to him. We took care of him for a few months before my aunt and uncle took over. He particularly doted on his daughters more than the sons, so my father was left to his own devices and was independent. But this is not the appropriate day or time to talk bad about someone who has just passed on.

He was a tough man. Serving with pride in the British forces.

Of all the people, i sympathise with my uncle's son most. In my grandfather's twilight years, he took over taking care of my grandfather full time, giving up his job. My father gave him a token sum every month but his taking care of my grandfather was out of respect and love from a grandchild. He took care of every need, and made sure my grandfather was well taken care off.

He looked bewildered and out of sorts when he looked at my grandfather for the last time. His sacrifice has inbued a perpetual sense of gratitude from me.

Lets hope things look up from now on.

And thank you for your support love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home